Jared Kushner and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu clashed during a meeting in Israel over the continued Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip.
According to an official present at the meeting, Netanyahu insisted that Israel must continue operations against Hamas militants suspected of taking part in the October 7, 2023 attack. Israel has previously admitted that it has created a special unit to track down and eliminate those involved in that attack.
This policy has caused several suspected violations of the ceasefire reached between Israel and Hamas in October 2025. However, the US administration has not fully opposed these operations, as Israel has argued that the targets pose an immediate threat to its troops.
During the meeting, Kushner, the US special envoy and son-in-law of President Donald Trump, told Netanyahu that Washington would not oppose attacks on individuals who pose a real "imminent threat."
The official present at Monday's meeting said Kushner also objected to Netanyahu's refusal to allow recruits for the new Palestinian police force to leave the Gaza Strip to train in Egypt.
The Peace Council's disarmament plan calls for Hamas to hand over its weapons to the new National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, with the International Stabilization Force assisting in the process.
Kushner said Monday that he wants Hamas to begin handing over its weapons within a month. However, without a sufficient number of police officers already trained, there may be virtually no force ready to accept Hamas' weapons.
However, he warned that this exception should not be interpreted broadly and used to justify attacks on civilians.
After the meeting, Kushner stated that the US would not "limit Israel's right to defend itself."
Hours after Kushner left Israel, the IDF carried out one of its deadliest attacks in months, targeting what it said was a gathering of senior Hamas figures.
